Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Smell me


Actually, please don't smell me. The last thing you want to do on a day like today is smell me. A day where the temperature in our greenhouse of a flat hasn't dropped below 30. A day when I took Samuel on a train ride to central London and pottered around in the blazing sun and it was still cooler than being in our own home, even with fans on and windows open. Don't smell me.

What you might want to do, though, is smell some of the delicious produce at Borough Market, for that's where we went. The lovely L's office is just around the corner from there so I thought it was about time I went to meet her for lunch. I was ready to take on the hustle and bustle of London Bridge with Samuel in tow. 

We ate at Le Pain Quotidian, which was full of high chairs and very baby friendly. Samuel was completely taken with L, grabbing at her hair and trying to steal her jewellery. Once he'd eaten, we took turns letting him bounce around on our knees while we caught up. Well, while we caught up as much as two people can catch up with a crazed, grunting, attention-seeking trampolinist between them.

Afterwards, we strolled back through Borough Market, a bit sad that afternoon work commitments and motherhood meant we couldn't really indulge in the rows and rows of cooling Pimms cocktails and Prosecco spritzers that clever traders were making a killing on. As Samuel and I headed back to the train station, our noses were assaulted by the smells of the best cheeses, chorizo and truffles that London has to offer. They were definitely some of the the nicer smells that we experienced on a scorching day like today.


No comments:

Post a Comment