Thursday, February 27, 2014

Time out and tunnels


The weather seems to have picked up at last so Samuel and I have been making the most of it and getting out and about.  

On Tuesday we went on an adventure to Westfield Stratford to meet Laura and reacquaint ourselves with the amazing P Diddy's yacht-style parent rooms there which I've written about in the past. As far as massive shopping malls go, it's suprisingly quiet, serene and baby-friendly. Especially on a Tuesday morning in February. We went to Giraffe and me and Samuel worked our way through an enormous stack of blueberry and banana pancakes as Laura and I gossiped.

Wednesday was gorgeously sunny so we headed out with our NCT friends to investigate a hidden playground just up the road from us. I'd heard rumours about its existence in the past but it was so well concealed from the main road I'd never spotted it. Turns out it's a lovely little gem - tiny and safe but with a big old adventure playground. We had it all to ourselves so Samuel and his pal were free to run around and explore. And explore they did, climbing through tunnels and over bridges all wide-eyed and broad-grinned. It's so brilliant watching a kid getting excited about doing things for the first time and I don't think I'll ever get bored of that. It's cool getting to hang out with a 15-month-old all day every day.

Well, not quite all day every day. Last night I ducked out of bathtime and headed into town to celebrate L's birthday with a massive steak at the Soho Kitchen and Bar. So good. So was the white wine at the time, but not so much today. Anyway, there will probably be plenty more of that this weekend when I'm off for a break in Manchester to visit Little Sis. I'll be away for the best part of two days and it'll be my first night away from Samuel. I'm really excited, though. It's going to be fun. And when I get home from there I'll be putting the brakes on all this lady-of-leisure business since neither my bank balance nor my Roman Catholic guilt complex at the occasional abandonment of my child will be able to take it anymore. But it'll have been a damn good week.















No comments:

Post a Comment