Wednesday, June 12, 2013

From the bookshelf: Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

The absolute favourite part of our day is story time. I read a couple of books to Samuel before every nap, and then James reads him a few more before bedtime. No matter how tired, grumbly and flappy the little man is, it's amazing how a brightly coloured book can command his attention and calm him right down. I'm sure he hasn't got a clue what's going on in them yet, but he looks completely entranced and is full of concentration as soon as you start to read. Of course, it's always possible that he's just filling up his nappy.

As a word nerd, I'm in hog heaven with all of these books. To be honest, the ones I read to him are  the ones that entertain me the most, and my current favourite is Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy, which was a gift from my mum. It's apparently an '80s classic, although I never came across it as a kid. Packed with rhyming couplets and ridiculous lists, it's great fun to read. And it's all about dogs. I love dogs.

So Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy goes out for a walk ...

... and, one by one, all of his canine friends join him. Each time a new pal joins the walk, the book recaps on all of the dogs' names, until you have a terrific tongue-twister of a list. They all have amazing names and characteristics. I particularly love Schnitzel von Krumm (with a very low tum) and Hercules Morse (as big as a horse).

Eventually the merry band encounter Scarface Claw, the toughest Tom in town ...

... and, terrified, they all bugger off home with 'a scatter of paws and a clatter of claws'.


It's a top book. If you'd like to see some other gorgeous children's books, take a look at the beautiful' We Like To Read' posts over on Tigerlilly Quinn, one of my favourite blogs around, and the inspiration for this post.


1 comment:

  1. Oh I love these books! Wilf has the one about the hairy maclary and zackery quack! Although this is the one I remember from my childhood. Thanks so much for joining in! xx

    ReplyDelete